Laboratory Manager/Ancillary Services Manager
Do you enjoy leading and/or working on cross functional teams?
Do you consider yourself an expert in Laboratory processes?
If so, we’d like to hear from you. We’re in need of enthusiasm and commitment to provide medical services to a rural community in a Critical Access setting.
The Ocean Beach Hospital is a 25 bed licensed Critical Access Hospital located on the rural Long Beach Peninsula in Washington State. We are looking for someone with a passion for a helping others who enjoys a hands on environment.
The Ancillary Services Manager holds a critical operational role in terms of the Laboratory and Radiology Department performance, meeting state and federal regulatory compliance, HIPAA compliance, and guest relations. The person in this position works in close partnership with many aspects of the organization and is central to creating a seamless experience for our patients.
The Ancillary Services Manager is responsible for directing the Laboratory and Radiology Department activities and technical staff, and monitors the technical and operational status of the Departments. The manager ensures that the proper Quality Control and Quality Assurance guidelines are followed to ensure accurate and timely patient care, and the highest quality service achievable. Competency in personnel management, inter-departmental relationships, budgeting and fiscal management, and evaluation of tests and instrumentation is required. The manager is responsible for development, interpretation, and application of departmental policies, procedures, budgets, billing practices, and long range plans.
The manager must be proficient in all areas of testing offered by the Laboratory Department. This position requires the knowledge and skills necessary to provide direct patient care appropriate to the patient population served. Monitors and maintains the charge master in the department to insure legally optimal reimbursement. Prepares inspection reports. Reviews and provides corrective action for all proficiency testing and assures competency in proficiency testing.
The duties of the Ancillary Services Manager include but are not limited to; providing leadership, support, problem resolution and supervision of the day-to-day operations of the Laboratory and Radiology Departments. Supervision of staff and work flow which aligns with the hospitals policies and procedures is expected. Supervisory responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, training, coaching, developing, disciplining, engaging, and evaluating employees. The Ancillary Services Manager is expected to continuously work toward the improvement of Ocean Beach Hospital and Medical Clinics’ operations and holding the team to the same standard.
• Bachelor of Science degree in medical technology or Associate degree as Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) and ASCP or equivalent certification and five years of clinical experience.
• Active membership in a national registry such as ASCP or equivalent.
• Medical Assistant License through the Washington State Department of Health.
• 2+ years of Leadership experience, managing, planning and executing activities including; project management, establishing performance metrics, and employee engagement.
• Demonstrated interpersonal skills including communication, facilitation, and effective meeting management, agenda development, as well as strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Leadership skills to motivate cross-departmental and cross functional teams’ performance towards excellence and develop team concepts and consensus-building management styles. The ability to make a significant contribution to the organization’s overall effectiveness.
• Communication and listening skills that reflect diplomacy. The ability to communicate with varying levels in the organization and create an environment where resolution/solutions are created and result in benefits to all parties impacted.
• Commitment to life-long learning and improvement.
Preferred Education and Skills:
• Master’s in Business Administration.
• 2 years of experience managing a Laboratory and Radiology Department.
• Experience participating in strategic planning and employee engagement.
• Experience in Laboratory and Radiology contract negotiations.
• Experience Managing in a union environment.
• Interested in participating in mentoring, teaching, and employee development opportunities.
Reports to: Chief Nursing Officer
Status: Full Time, exempt
Shift: typically works Monday-Friday day shift
Salary: TBD based on education and experience
Location: Ocean Beach Hospital in Ilwaco, WA